Here are a few tips to keep in mind when handling batteries and also when you are in and around battery rooms:

 

  • Batteries are a shock hazard. Before touching the battery, be sure to discharge static electricity by touching a grounded surface away from the batteries. Always use protective insulating equipment such as; gloves, shoes, and eye protection at a minimum. Never wear conductive jewelry such as rings, bracelets, watches, etc. when working on batteries.
  • Batteries produce hydrogen gas which can be explosive. Make sure the rooms where your batteries are located have adequate ventilation, so that hydrogen gas does not accumulate. If you smell an odor of rotten eggs this is likely an indication of a charging issue or a bad cell.
  • This should go without saying, but do not smoke, create a spark, or have open flames in an area near batteries!
  • Batteries contain sulfuric acid, which can cause burns. If electrolyte makes contact with your skin, remove contaminated clothing and rinse area thoroughly with water. If eye contact with electrolyte has occurred, flush for a minimum of 15 minutes and seek medical attention.
  • Keep your eyes open for anything outside of the ordinary. Battery jars can crack and leak electrolyte, so always do a good visual inspection of your cells to make sure this isn’t the case. Containers can bulge due to overheating, a container with this issue might be hot to the touch. Also, battery connectors can become discolored from overheating or improper connections. These are just a few ways to spot potential problems before they can get worse.